The first thing I did when I got home was strip the old upholstery and foam off to try and diminish the nasty odor. Then I got busy trying to repair the arm. I knew it would never look perfect because so much had been lost but I could make it look a lot less obvious. I basically just sanded it until it was smooth. I tried to follow the lines of the arm to make it match the other side as best as possible. There were a few other places the dog nibbled so I got busy sanding those too. A little wood filler on a few cracks and it was good to go.
My next step was to prime it. I used a Zinsser primer that is made to, among other things, cover strong odors. It worked great. After a couple coats of primer, no more stale smoke! Then I went with a high gloss Rustoleum white spray paint. I thought the spray paint would work best for all the small details in the caning. It only took a couple coats. I wanted it to really shine so I followed it up with a spray on poly coat.
The fabric I used to upholster is Premier Prints Amsterdam collection in chartreuse. This was a big deal for me. I always want to go bold but usually talk myself out of it. This time my sweet husband convinced me to go for it. I covered the seat and then slept on it overnight. I flip flopped back and worth about whether to rip it off and start over at least half a dozen times. I am sooo happy that I didn't. I love the way it turned out! I think it gives my room a really fun pop of color. I didn't tuft the back because of my fabric choice and I thought it made the chair more contemporary. This was a real test of pushing outside my comfort zone and I think it was a great success. I can't wait to tackle another colorful project!
|that is my printer hanging out under there|