Saturday, January 15, 2011

DIY cake plate

Whenever I throw a party the "tablescape" is one of my favorite parts of the planning process.  The food is always one of the focal points of a good get together so I like that area to be really eye catching.  It is important to have a color theme and displaying items at different levels makes the table more interesting.  I decided for Pyper's upcoming birthday I would make a few coordinating display pieces.

 I started my search at the Goodwill.  I needed a couple glass candle holders and some clear glass plates.  These items seem to be always available at thrift stores.  Luckily today was 50% off so my $1.99 candlesticks were only $1 and my plates marked $.99 cost me a whopping $.50!

 
 I chose to line the underside of my plates with the same wrapping paper I used to line the invitation envelopes.  I simply traced the center of my plate onto my paper and cut it out.


 Then I used Modge Podge to attach the paper to my plate.


 I considered lining the underside but realized the only way you would ever see the bottom would be if you were crawling on my floor.  And since the only person doing that will be Pyper I decided to skip that step because I knew she wouldn't judge me.  I then went over the paper with a sealant.  To attach the pedestal  I used Gorilla Glue.


 After they were dry I had two cake plates and one serving plate.  The best part was since I used mostly supplies I already had my total cost for all three pieces was $3.50!  A really simple, quick, and inexpensive way to add some dimension and color to your party.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE them! I've been wanting to make something similar for while now. I need to hit the thrift shops next week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super awesome! I have so many parties coming up I am hosting - this would be perfect - I just made a few but using silver tins and silver candle sticks - I am posting one this week. I am your newest follower - found you over at Homemaker on a Dime, swing by and say hi if you get a chance.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simplicity, functionality and durability are the features that identify classic things for women.
    The hues range from subtle white or black to vibrant shades
    of red, orange, and yellow. The company was his legacy and he taught his
    sons the art of watch making as well.

    My site; patek philippe []

    ReplyDelete