Thursday, January 6, 2011

Renting, making a home not a holding tank

 I pride myself on my home.  Not because it is the biggest or filled with the finest things, it is not even technically ours.  I take pride in it because it is 100% a representation of us.  My personality and my family can be seen on every wall, in every room, there is no denying this is OUR home.  This mindset has taken me awhile to get to.  As a renter I have felt a lot of times that I am living in a temporary space.  There are so many things I would love to do to my home that I can’t because we do not own it.  I get jealous when I look at blogs of other people’s home that can tear down walls or gut bathrooms.  I dream of the day that I can join their renovating chaos.  It used to frustrate me more than I feel proud to admit. 

Then I realized I couldn’t spend my life in limbo.  I couldn’t keep putting what makes me happy on hold because I really don’t know when our home will be our own.  I know one day we will buy a house.  I know that when we do it will be on our terms and on a timeline that won’t leave us house poor.  We want to own a home, we also want to travel and enjoy our lives with our child to the fullest.  Being able to accomplish both of these means we have to be patient.  So until then my creative surplus has to be directed to furniture, accessories, and things that can be easily painted over.

And finally I can say that is okay, that is enough.  I pride myself on my home…because I take pride in myself.  I am proud of what I have accomplished, whether it has to be painted over or not.  

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for visiting! I really mean that! I, too, love the chair. I just couldn't believe it was so cheap. I don't think the "pricers" at Goodwill knew the value of it. I wish a footstool to match had been there too. I have a pale pink living room and I can't wait to make this chair the star of the room.
    -Nan from youcouldmakethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole. I'm Tracy and I'm new to your blog. I found you over at Transformation Thursdays. You've done a wonderful job with your chairs. I love watching someone make something spectacular out of a so sad item or upcycling something no one else could imagine not throwing away. I'm looking forward to following your blog (as tonasun) and getting to know you better. Stop by and visit me at http://cottonpickincute.blogspot.com anytime! I always love company.

    Hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Have you ever visited The Nester's blog? She is also a renter, and yet she has a blog that is dedicated to creating a lovely home environment. I always thought that was so cool!

    Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel! I have a long list of things I want to do to a house but can't because we are renters too. I am happy to be a renter but do want to buy something when we are sure of WHERE we want to be =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so needed to read this. We own our home but will probably be selling soon. So it's always "Will this be good for resale?" I just need to enjoy this space.

    ReplyDelete